The Office of the Speaker provides administrative support services to the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly.
After subscribing the Oath of Allegiance before His Highness Le Ao o le Malo, the Speaker:
- Claims all privileges and free access to Le Ao o le Malo on behalf of the Legislative Assembly.
- Receives all Messages from Le Ao o le Malo for the Legislative Assembly.
- Reports vacancies in the Legislative Assembly to Le Ao o le Malo.
- Chairman to the House Committee and Standing Order Committee.
- President of the Samoan Branches of Parliamentary Associations and Unions.
- Approves notices of motions.
- Grants leave of absence to Members requiring absence from the sittings of the Assembly for three consecutive days or more.
- Grants recognition of Political Parties as Parties in Parliament.
- Authorises the release of Journals and records of the Legislative Assembly to persons or parties other than members of Parliament.
- Recommends the Clerk and Deputy Clerk to be appointed by Le Ao o le Malo, and appoint other staff of the Department on recommendation of the Clerk.
- Is responsible for the control and administration of the Maota Fono and whole of Parliamentary grounds.
- Appoints other officers of the House on recommendation of the Clerk.
- Fixes and determines the renumerations of the other officers of the House on recommendation of the Clerk.
In the Maota Fono during Parliamentary Sittings, the Speaker:
- Controls proceedings and maintains order in debates of the Assembly and in Committee of the Whole.
- Interprets Standing Orders as required.
- Consults with the Clerk at the Table on points of procedure.
- Rules on points of order taken by members in the Assembly; and Speakers ruling on any point of order is final.
- Requires members to withdraw unparliamentary expressions.
- Requires a member to discontinue his speech in the even of persisting tedious repetition.
- Requires a member who is grossly disorderly to withdraw from the sitting.
- Order strangers to withdraw from the galleries where necessary.
- Producing briefing notes and coordinate information and resources for the Speaker’s commitments and appointments.
- Researches and assembles background information for the Speaker’s engagements and any relevant press releases.
- Drafts outgoing correspondences for the signature of the Speaker.
- Compiles information from a range of sources and viewpoints including online and traditional media for the Speaker.
- Assists in the organization of functions hosted by the Speaker.
Also ensures that:
- Speaker meets his Parliamentary obligations.
- Speaker is well prepared for his engagements.
- Office of the Speaker is well organized.
- Speaker has access to up-to-date relevant information.