- 45th ACP-EU
Member of Parliament and Chairperson of the Social Sector Committee, Gatolaifaana Amataga Alesana Gidlow attended the 45th African, Caribbean and Pacific Parliamentary session and first plenary meeting of the year 2017 which took place in Brussels from the 21st March to 24th March 2017.
The Assembly highlighted the importance of preparations of negotiating future relations with the European Union (EU) after partnership with ACP countries in the Contonou Agreement which comes to an end in 2020 and especially engaging the ACP regions in political dialogue.
The Assembly was attended by representatives from 70 countries including Samoa.
- 136th Inter-Parliamentary Union, Assembly, Dhaka Bangladesh, 1-5th April 2017
Member of the Economic Sector Committee, Ili Setefano Taateo Tafili attended the 136th IPU Assembly.
The Conference themed “Readdressing inequalities: delivering on dignity and well-being for all” focused on discussions on inequality the detriments of it and solutions to resolve inequality in their nations.
About 1500 delegates attended the conference from 131 countries.
- UNDP Fiji: Pacific Parliamentary Seminar, April 10-12th 2017
The Seminar was established to accommodate requests from Pacific Parliaments on the need for professional development in their Parliamentary Committees. The focus was on developing Parliamentary Committees in the Pacific and in turn harness South –South exchanges in the region on developing Pacific Parliaments.
Officials who attended the workshop:
- Hon Faumuina Faaolatane Tiatia Liuga Member, Finance and Expenditure Committee
- Sulamanaia Fetaiai Tauiliili Tuivasa Member, Social Sector Committee
- Faaulusau Rosa Duffy Stowers Member, Infrastructure Sector Committee
- Jeremy Ugapo, Senior Clerk, Parliamentary Committees
- CPA Mid-Year Executive Committee Meeting
The Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) Mid-Year Executive Committee Meeting took place in Darwin Australia from the 24th – 28th April 2017.
The CPA meetings enable Commonwealth Parliamentarians to reach beyond their own Parliaments to contribute in a global setting to the development of best parliamentary practices and the most effective policies for parliamentary strengthening.
Deputy Speaker of the Legislative Assembly, Nafoitoa Talaimau Keti attended the event in representation of the Parliament of Samoa.
- CPA Fundamentals Programme on Parliamentary Practice & Procedure
Two Members of Parliament of Samoa (Lopaoo Natanielu Mua and Aliimalemanu Alofa Tuuau) attended the CPA Fundamentals Programme which was held in McGill University Canada from the 24th to 29th April 2017. The Programme is an accredited programme for parliamentarians on Parliamentary practice and procedure and international good practices of Parliamentary practice.
The Programme is the first of its kind and had with it 3 main objectives:
- Great depth of knowledge of parliamentary practice and procedure;
- Increased in-depth and practical knowledge based on accepted theories and international good practices of parliamentary democracy;
- An accredited qualification from an internationally recognized university that will benefit participants for life during and after Parliament.
- Speaker and Delegation visit to New Zealand
Speaker of the Legislative Assembly, Hon Leaupepe Taimaaiono Toleafoa Faafisi and delegation visited New Zealand as guests of the New Zealand Parliament from the 1st to 2th May 2017 in commemoration of the 55th Anniversary Treaty of Friendship signed in 1962.
The visit further solidified relationships with New Zealand emphasizes on the friendship, confidence and a mutual endeavor to obtain for their people’s fuller opportunities for social progress.
- RSIS- WTO Parliamentarian Workshop on International Trade 2017
Members of Parliament, Tapulesatele Mauteni Tamasone Metuli II Esera (Member of the Economic Sector Committee) and Mulipola Leiataua Laki (Associate Minister for Ministry of Finance) attended a Parliamentary workshop under the auspices of the World Trade Organization (WTO) and the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS) which focused on discussions of Trade and Negotiations.
The workshop is one of Temasek Foundation Series on trade and negotiations which took place in Singapore from the 15th to 17th May 2017.
- 46th ACP (African Caribbean and Pacific)- EU (European Union)
The 46th ACP-EU Assembly was held in Malta from the 14th June to 21st June. Member of Parliament and member of the Social Sector Parliamentary Committee, Gatoloaifaana Amataga Alesana Gidlow attended the event.
The 46th ACP-EU gathering saw members calling for common causes behind terrorism, famine and impunity on crimes against humanity. The Assembly also adopted a declaration recalling the full importance of the COP21 Paris Agreement- a concerted global action is necessary to prevent the negative impact of climate change, particularly, to address the challenges faced by the most vulnerable countries.