(Mulinuu, 11th December 2014)
PARLIAMENTARY ACTIVITIES – DECEMBER 2014
1. Pre-Sitting Briefings, 15th December, 2014
2. Parliamentary Prayer Breakfast, 16th December, 2014
3. Women’s Parliamentary Programme, 16th – 17th December, 2014
MONDAY, 15TH DECEMBER 2014
1. Parliamentarians will meet on Monday 15th December 2014 for their scheduled Pre-Sitting Briefing on Bills scheduled for introduction to the Legislative Assembly on Tuesday, 16th December 2014. The three bills for introduction are the Public Bodies (Performance and Accountability) Amendment Bill 2014, the Citizenship Investment Bill 2014 and the Ports Authority Amendment Bill 2014.
The Ministry of Finance is responsible for the Public Bodies (Performance and Accountability) Amendment Bill 2014 to be introduced under a Certificate of Urgency. The Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Labour is responsible for the Citizenship Investment Bill 2014 and the Samoa Ports Authority is responsible for the Ports Authority Amendment Bill 2014. The Chief Executive Officers for the respective Ministries will deliver the briefings for the Parliamentarians.
Pre-Sitting briefings have been adopted by Parliament to improve the quality and relevance of parliamentary debates and for clarification of policy frameworks for bills and other related matters.
TUESDAY, 16TH DECEMBER 2014
2. Parliament will hold its annual Prayer Breakfast on Tuesday 16th December 2014 at 6:00am in Parliament Chambers as per usual practice. The Prayer Breakfast will be attended by Members of Parliament, Members of the Clergy, Judiciary, Diplomatic Corp and invitees. The service will be followed by morning tea hosted by the Speaker of Parliament. The service will be officiated by Rev Dr Iutisone Salevao, Secretary General of the Congregational Christian Church of Samoa.
TUESDAY 16TH & WEDNESDAY 17TH DECEMBER 2014
3. The Office of the Clerk of the Legislative Assembly (OCLA) will also host the final segment of the Women’s Parliamentary Programme 2014 on the 16th – 17th December, at the Tofilau Eti Alesana Building, Mulinuu. Selected women from the first two forums held at EFKS Sapapalii, Savaii on 8th December, and at the Tui Atua Tupua Tamasese Efi Conference Centre, Upolu, on 10th December, will participate in this final forum. Participants will continue to learn more about the functions of Parliament and develop a strategic framework to assist prospective candidates. The Pacific Women Parliamentary Partnership (PWPP) in Canberra will assist the OCLA in facilitating the programme.
This programme is part of the ongoing parliamentary awareness and educational programmes of the Parliament that is supported under the Samoa Parliamentary Support Programme jointly funded by the Governments of Australia and Samoa and implemented by OCLA and UNDP.
For more information about the above events please contact the following:
Yonita Tuia – Tel 21811 ext – 1092 email@example.com
Lyla Fepuleai – Tel 21811 ext – 1067 firstname.lastname@example.org